Sunday, January 23, 2022

Home Street QAL: Week 2 - Sew HST

Last Week: Cut HST

If you don't know what HST means, it's an acronym for Half-Square Triangle (picture a square with a line from one corner to the opposite creating two right angle triangles).

These are what the quilt is made up of (this and a few full-colour squares). These were fun. I haven't had a project that comes along with the motivation to get it done so quickly except for a few random Christmas quilts I've done in the past.

Erin at The Blanket Statement includes labels in her pattern so that everything is easy to keep track of. Both the pattern and Quilt Along instructions are easy to follow with a lot of tips for making things work smoothly.

Before I started anything, I changed out my needle for a new one, cleaned out my machine (yuck!), and made sure everything was working properly.


I lined up my squares and used my 1/2 inch ruler to mark the middle and a quarter-inch on each side which would be my sewing lines.


A friend of mine gave me this template years ago that helps line up your squares. I used it for a bit and then just used my drawn on lines. Both worked great.


Here's the finished batch of half-square triangles.





Next Week: Trimming HST!

No comments:

Post a Comment